Obstetrics and Gynaecology
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology has been internationally and regionally renowned in clinical service for women’s healthcare at Tsan Yuk Hospital (TYH) and Queen Mary Hospital (QMH) in the past 95 years and 80 years respectively. Throughout the past decades, besides providing specialist care for general obstetrical and gynaecological problems, we have also established excellence in managing complicated gynaecological problems, reproductive endocrine and fertility disorders, gynaecological cancers, high-risk pregnancies and abnormal fetal conditions.
At Queen Mary Hospital, we have more than 60 gynaecology beds and over 80 maternity beds catering for in-patient care. There are over 8,000 gynaecological admissions, approximately 4,000 major and minor gynaecological operations, and over 3,500 deliveries per year. Tsan Yuk Hospital, our previous maternity hospital, is now mainly providing ambulatory obstetric care and prenatal diagnosis after relocation of the obstetric in-patient service to QMH in November 2001.
Obstetrics and Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Our obstetric service is jointly provided by the general obstetric and the maternal fetal medicine divisions. It includes the following services:
- General Obstetric
- provides comprehensive service for low risk pregnant women
- High Risk Obstetrics
- provides subspecialty level obstetric care for women with various medical and surgical disorders, as well as mothers with significant obstetric risk factors
- Fetal Assessment Service
- provides an efficient and clinically orientated fetal assessment service for pregnant women requiring frequent and close monitoring
- Prenatal Diagnosis and Counselling
- provides prenatal screening, non-invasive and invasive prenatal diagnosis, medical and surgical fetal therapy, fetal monitoring for high risk pregnancies and multi-disciplinary genetic counseling
- provides mother- and baby-friendly comprehensive services tailored to the needs of expectant mothers and their families
- Since the establishment of Queen Mary Hospital in 1937, the general gynaecology service provides a comprehensive range of treatment and promotes the use of minimal access approach for surgical treatments. Laparoscopic surgery has been introduced since 1968. Since 2016, High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound has also been introduced for the management of uterine fibroids. Furthermore, we also promote day surgery.
- We also provide out-patient services at the General Gynaecology Clinic, Urogynaecology Clinic, and the Early Pregnancy Assessment Clinic which is run by nurses. Furthermore, the pre-operative patients are assessed by gynaecologists and anaesthetists in the Pre-Admission Clinic. This can allow patients to have adequate preparation for the operations and shorten their length of stay in hospital.
Our team provides specialized care for women with gynecological cancer. We perform different kinds of cancer surgery by abdominal, laparoscopic and robotic assisted approach. We also offer chemotherapy, hormonal and targeted therapy. Collaborating with other departments like Department of Clinical Oncology, Department of Pathology, Department of Radiology, Palliative Team, Department of Clinical Psychology, Medical Social Services and allied health teams, we run the service in a multi-disciplinary approach. Our team is also active in both basic and clinical research and have joined several multi-centre trials in gynaecological cancers. Nurses also provide counseling and run regular patient support groups in providing psychological support for patients and relatives. All these help to provide comprehensive oncology care to our patients.
Reproductive Medicine provides clinical management for patients with subfertility, menstrual and reproductive endocrine disorders, and menopause-related problems. Our team collaborate with urologists, endocrinologists, geneticists, psychologists and medical social workers to provide multidisciplinary service.