The Department of Cardiothoracic Anaesthesia (DCA) is the only Specialist Cardiothoracic Anaesthetic Department in the whole of Hong Kong. DCA provides anaesthesia and related services exclusively in the spheres of cardiac and thoracic surgery, paediatric cardiology and now increasing adult cardiology.
QMH is the oldest of the 3 cardiac surgical centres in Hong Kong, and the only centre for complex paediatric and neonatal cardiac surgery, paediatric mechanical circulatory support and paediatric diagnostic, and interventional cardiology. Also, QMH is Hong Kong’s only centre for thoracic organ transplantation, and intermediate and long-term mechanical circulatory support services.
We are committed to providing round the clock high quality peri-operative anaesthesia, echocardiography and intensive care services to our high-risk patient population. We endeavour to maintain high standards while working in a friendly, pleasant yet stimulating environment where team work is of paramount importance.
To provide 'specialist-based' service on a 24/7 basis, where the front line work is equally distributed amongst all our department’s specialists. This ensures best service to our patients while generating a sense of fairness amongst our staff.
Cardio-thoracic Anaesthesia: Cardiac Anaesthesia service is credentialed
- Anaesthesia for all cardiac surgical procedures for adult, paediatric and neonatal age groups and pre-term babies
- Anaesthesia for all thoracic surgical procedures in adult patients
- Anaesthesia for all heart and lung transplantations in adult and paediatric age groups
- Intra-operative Transoesphageal Echocardiography Service for all open heart procedures
- Advisory and monitoring role for extracorporeal perfusion for all open heart surgery
- Anaesthesia for interventional/ diagnostic procedures for paediatric patients at the Paediatric Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory (CG)
- Anaesthesia for structural heart diseases in Cath Labs/ Hybrid Theatre for adult patients:TAVI (in conjunction with Cardiac Surgeons), Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion (LAAO), Mitra-clip, ASD occlusion, etc.
- Anaesthesia for Electrophysiology procedures in adult patients
- Peri-operative care in ICU/ HDU in partnership with CTSD and DPC for adult and paediatric patients
- Acute Pain Service to all patients undergoing ultra-major, major and intermediate surgery within the domain of CTSD
- Resuscitation services within CTSD & DPC areas
To know more