The Department of Cardiothoracic Anaesthesia (DCA) is the only Specialist Cardiothoracic Anaesthetic Department in the whole of Hong Kong. DCA provides anaesthesia and related services exclusively in the spheres of adult cardiac and thoracic surgery and cardiology.
QMH is the oldest of the 3 adult cardiac surgical centres in Hong Kong. It is also the only centre for thoracic organ transplantation, and intermediate and long-term mechanical circulatory support services in Hong Kong.
We are committed to providing round the clock high quality peri-operative anaesthesia, echocardiography and intensive care services to our high-risk patient population. We endeavour to maintain high standards while working in a friendly, pleasant yet stimulating environment where team work is of paramount importance.
To provide 'specialist-based' service on a 24/7 basis, where the front line work is equally distributed amongst all our department’s specialists. This ensures best service to our patients while generating a sense of fairness amongst our staff.
Cardio-thoracic Anaesthesia: Cardiac Anaesthesia service is credentialed
- Anaesthesia for all cardiac surgical procedures in adult patients
- Anaesthesia for all thoracic surgical procedures in adult patients
- Anaesthesia for heart and lung transplantations in adult patients
- Intra-operative Transoesphageal Echocardiography Service for all open heart procedures
- Advisory and monitoring role for extracorporeal perfusion for all open heart surgery
- Anaesthesia for interventional/ diagnostic procedures in adult patients
- Anaesthesia for structural heart diseases in Cath Labs/ Hybrid Theatre :TAVI (in conjunction with Cardiac Surgeons), Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion (LAAO), Mitra-clip, ASD occlusion, etc.
- Anaesthesia for Electrophysiology procedures in adult patients
- Peri-operative care in cardiothoracic surgical ICU in partnership with the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery (CTSD)
- Acute Pain Service to all patients undergoing surgery within the domain of CTSD
- Resuscitation services within CTSD areas
To know more