The Department of Paediatric Cardiology (DPC) was established at the Grantham Hospital in 1978 and was relocated to Queen Mary Hospital in July 2008. DPC provides full range of cardiological services for both congenital and acquired heart disease in children. It is the only tertiary referral centre for children with heart disease in Hong Kong. In 2013 DPC is designated as the only paediatric ECMO and VAD centre in Hospital Authority.
We are committed develop our department as an excellent paediatric cardiac centre.
- Provision of quality care by a competent and compassionate team
- Commitment to continuous improvement of services
- Training and continuous education of staff
- Introduction of innovative technology and medical research
- Establishment of community partnership in the promotion of heart health and treatment of heart disease in children
- Provides a comprehensive tertiary paediatric cardiological service for both congenital and acquired heart disease in children. This comprises of in-patient, cardiac intensive care, out-patient, day-patient and out-reaching services.
- Comprehensive diagnostic facilities including echocardiography, diagnostic catheterization, cardiac CT scan and magnetic resonance imaging, electrophysiological studies for arrhythmias, radionuclide studies, and cardiorespiratory function tests are available.
- Provides therapeutic modalities including cardiac surgery, therapeutic catheter intervention, transcatheter ablation for cardiac arrhythmias and device implantation e.g. pacemaker, defibrillator and loop recorder
- Joint care with Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery to provide postoperative intensive care after cardiac surgery and mechanical circulatory support like extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) and ventricular assist device (VAD) services.
- Maintain a strong link with the community and established partnership with the Children’s Heart Foundation (CHF) which is a registered charity in Hong Kong. Through collaboration with the CHF, various patient and parent support groups were formed for sharing of experience and mutual support. Financial assistance is also provided for the needy families.
- Joint care with Department of Medicine to provide services for adult congenital heart patients